Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bananaramalicious

So it's been a few weeks of ups and downs.  We had a little accident the babe and I.  I managed to cut the palm of my hand at work with a pair of scissors while trying to cut a button in half (long story) and ended up with 9 (painful) stitches, unbeknownst to me that when pregnant (at least in Spain) they don't give you any anestesia for these things..in my 31 years, I've never had so much as a broken finger and alas at 7 months pregnant I ended up with my first real gash.  As you can imagine it has been a bit of an upset in the house, since I am the one that usually does a lot of the cooking...but my Lor has been quite a huge help these days, cooking, cleaning, tying plastic bags on my hand so I can shower..
...and then yesterday, despite the bandage and the awkwardness, I broke down and made a banana bread..when desperate: MAKE BANANA BREAD! And apart from remedying my longing for the kitchen, it also came out delicious...though I burned the bottom just a tad...

This bread is great because it combines healthy flours and very little sugar.  It does have butter, but hey, we can't all be saints now can we... I usually substitute flaxmeal for a part of the flour mixure in most recipes and it always comes out great! So I hope you give it a try...the photo is a little bit terrible since it was late and my iphone was all I had handy...


Banana Bread

Yield: 2 medium loaves (or 1 big, 1 small as pictured)

1 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ

1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

125gr (1 stick + aprox 1 tblspn)  unsalted butter, room temperature


1/2 cup packed  brown cane sugar (if you like your bread more on the sweet side add another 1/4 cup--I don't think it really needs it with all the banana, but sugar is a personal choice in my book)
2 large eggs

3ripe bananas for batter + 2 or 3 more for layering on top (optional) 

125grms yogurt (about 1/2 cup) + 1/4 cup milk (reg milk/soy etc will all do)

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 2 bread pans (I used butter, but to each his own..) In a bowl, whisk together flours, wheat germ, baking soda, and salt.
In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars with a mixer until light and fluffy (I actually don't have a mixer and just do this manually--but of course, if you have a mixer, I highly reccomend using it.) Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, mash bananas with a fork (you should have about 3/4 to 1cup (aprox); stir in milk and vanilla.
With mixer on low (or stirring by hand), alternately add flour mixture and banana mixture to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined. Fold in walnuts if using.
Divide batter among loaf pans and cut the remaining bananas in half, placing them on top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of each loaf comes out clean, 45 minutes (aprox), rotating pan halfway through. Let cool in pan 10 minutes; transfer loaves to a rack to cool at least 10 minutes more.